The Market Continued to Decline.
Abstract: The market continued to decline over the pastweek. Terraform Labs proposed issuing 1 billion new tokens to compensate LUNA and UST holders after UST lost its peg to the US dollar; UST’s depegging triggered regulation debates from some governments over stablecoins. The US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen indicated that a comprehensive framework for stablecoins is needed. The crypto Fear and Greed index fell to 14 (“extreme fear” territory).
- Total market value declined. Last week, the total market value of digital assets declined to around US$1.29 trillion. Bitcoin traded within the US$30,000 range.
- Most of the top 100 digital assets fell. Last week, among the top 100 digital assets, 97 witnessed decline, while 3 staged growth.
- Exchange turnover increased. Last week, turnover on the 10 exchanges tracked by us rose by 97.7%. Binance moved up by +96.4%. Bitfinex, Bitstamp and Coinbase recorded increase of +80.7%, +128.4% and +85.5%, respectively.
- Turnover of futures increased. Turnover of Bitcoin futures and Ethereum futures rose by 68.5% and 87% respectively.
- Turnover of DEXes increased to approximately US$40 billion. The weekly turnover of DEXes grew by 73% as compared to last week.
- Turnover of OpenSea decreased to approximately US$1.11 billion, down by 31% as compared to last week.
- The market tumbled. Total market value of digital assets went down to approximately US$1290 billion last week. Bitcoin fluctuated in a narrow range at approximately US$30,000, with an increase in the turnover. Spot turnover increased by approximately 79% while turnover of Bitcoin futures and Ethereum futures rose by 68.5% and 87% respectively. Subsequent to UST dollar depegging last week, Do Kwon has tabled a new proposal to revive and issue 1 billion new tokens, in which 400 million UST would go toward LUNA holders who held the asset before the depegging event; 400 million units would go towards UST holders, 100 million units would be allocated to LUNA holders just before the chain halted operations and the remaining 100 million units would be reserved for future ecological development. The proposal is currently under consideration. CZ replied by arguing that hardfork would not have much effect and BTC reserve should be used to repurchase UST so as to support the price. LFG indicated that the priority is to compensate small wallets. The incident has drawn the attention of some governments to the regulation of stablecoins: US lawmakers stated that stablecoin has to be backed by US dollars, and with funding and disclosure requirements. The US Treasury Secretary Yellen indicated that a comprehensive framework for stablecoins is needed. The US Department of Treasury stepped up its efforts to produce the risk report related to stablecoins. With weak performance of mainstream coins, the crypto fear and greed index fell to 14 (“extreme fear” territory), and the market is expected to hover at a low level under macro environment factors over the coming weeks.
Digital Currency Market Capitalization Change:
Source: HashKey Capital Research, Coin360
Bitcoin Futures Daily Trading Volume:
Source: HashKey Capital Research, The Block
- The information contained in this document has been compiled by HashKey Group (as defined below) from sources believed to be reliable, but no representation or warranty express or implied is made by HashKey Group, its affiliates or any other person as to its fairness, reasonableness, reliability, accuracy, completeness or correctness. All illustrations, examples or forward-looking information (if any) contained in this document have been provided in good faith for illustrative purposes only as of the date of this document, and are not intended to serve as, and must not be relied upon as, a guarantee, an assurance, a prediction or a definitive statement of fact or probability. Whilst efforts are made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information contained in this document at the time of publication, errors or omissions may occur. Past performance is not a guide to future performance, future returns are not guaranteed, and a loss of original capital may occur. HashKey Group reserves the right to correct any errors or omissions, and to change or update information at any time without prior notice.
- Each legal jurisdiction has its own laws regulating the types of investments and/or services which may be offered to its residents and/or in its jurisdiction, as well as the process for doing so. As a result, certain investment products or services discussed in this document may not be eligible for sale or offered in some jurisdictions. This document is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to purchase any investments or services. Unless otherwise specified, HashKey Group does not hold itself out to be licensed to carry on regulated activities in any jurisdiction. Additionally, providing this material is not, and under no circumstances should be construed to act as a regulated business in any jurisdiction by any person or company that is not legally permitted to carry on such regulated business in that jurisdiction.
- Nothing in this document constitutes legal, accounting, or tax advice, and you are advised to seek independent legal, tax and accounting advice prior to acting upon anything contained in this document. The contents of this material have not been reviewed by any regulatory authority. Investors are advised to exercise caution in relation to any investments or services in relation to this document. If you are in doubt about any of the contents of this material, you should obtain independent professional advice.
- To the full extent permitted by law, neither HashKey Group nor any of its affiliates accepts any liability whatsoever for any direct or consequential loss arising from any use of this document or the information contained herein. No information contained in this document may be reproduced or copied by any means without the prior written consent of HashKey Group.
- “HashKey Group” is a brand name to describe any one or more entities of the group companies composed of HashKey Digital Asset Group Limited and its Affiliates.